Tuesday, August 2, 2016

DIY: How to Meditate for Beginners



I'm like Russell Simmons, I don't do shit until I have meditated, plus I journal read and exercise. Please believe nobody wants to encounter me prior. (Hell, I don't want to encounter myself before any of that. So today I'd like to make meditation as easy to understand and to practice. We'll focus more than practice. Meditation can sound complicated, but it's not. It does NOT require you to sit in a full lotus position or to stand or your head.

 I'll keep as simple as possible.Find a place where you can be undisturbed for the next 20 minutes. Sit with your back straight or lie down with palms facing up. I generally connect my pointer finger and thumb together, gyan mudra, but we will go in depth on another day. Close your eyes or lower them to a soft gaze. Start focusing on your breath, how it flows in and out. Then begin to control your breath, inhaling four (4) counts and exhaling four counts, pulling the air through the nostrils down to your diaphragm, your lower belly not your chest. When you wonder back into your thoughts, go back to your breath. (Please believe you will drift off back into your thoughts, return to your breath.)

Your thoughts will automatically subside, after a few conscious breaths. In the beginning you may get an influx or rush of thoughts and emotions pour in. Be gentle with your self, don't get flustered. Go back to your breath. Spend about 10 minutes in this position. You will notice all of a sudden you mind gets quieter. AND you will notice that you can hear the thoughts as if you are separate from your thoughts, BECAUSE YOU ARE! Now, I won't go any further in this post. Go sit your butt down and get to breathing!

I LOVE YOU! Be Happy. Be Healthy. Be You!

1 comment: